I jinxed myself. For the past few months, while colleagues, family and friends have fallen under the grip of all the nasty bugs and viruses circling around, I have been boasting about the superiority of my immune system. How haphazard that sounds now, as I sit here going through tissues at a break neck speed. Yup, I’ve been infected. Though I think this enemy is weak and I believe I can battle these invaders with my mighty three-pronged plan of attack:
- Soup. I’m not prepared for this one so “homemade instant soup” it is. Not much to it: veggie stock + minced up garlic + cooked rice or noodles + a handful of whatever veg are stashed in the freezer…in proportions that are pleasing to you. Oh, a dash of cayenne does wonders to clear up the stuffiness 🙂
- Homemade Lemon and Ginger Anti-Cold Warrior:
- boil a 3 inch chunk of ginger in 6 cups water for 10 minutes or so (so the ginger can release its fiery juices – add more or less ginger depending on how much gingery heat you want, smash it beforehand for good measure)
- add 3 Tablespoons agave nectar (or other liquid sweetener, maple syrup works too) and 4 Tablespoons of lemon juice (about 2 lemons worth, I used my organic bottled one), simmer for a few minutes for all the flavours to come together and party
- adjust flavours to your liking, remove ginger
- sip hot brew throughout the day and feel the bugs surrendering
- Rest. Being sick is a pretty fine excuse to cuddle up in bed with a great book. Last night I started reading “Brain on Fire” by Susannah Cahalan…needless to say I am hooked!
That’s it. Wish me luck in the quest to annihilate my adversaries.